Ground Unit members train in various methods of search proficiency to be able to respond to multiple conditions, weather, and terrain throughout the year. These methods include:
- Search methods such as line search and hasty search, and searching at night.
- First aid techniques, especially those relevant for wilderness locations.
- Downed aircraft search with Emergency Locator Transmitters (ELT)
- Navigation, with GPS and map/compass
- Radio communications
- Air support interface (helicopters, planes)
- Winter search and rescue, including cold weather travel, avalanche, hypothermia and more.
- Swiftwater search and rescue
- Crime scene preservation
Our Full Members are required to achieve the New Mexico State Field Certification for Search & Rescue in order to meet the highest terms of professionalism for search & rescue volunteers.